Newbery T-Shirt Book Report: Due NOV.2nd
The Newbery Medal is awarded annually by the American Library Association for the most distinguished American children's book published the previous year. Select a just-right Newbery book to read. It has to be a book you have never read before. After you have read the book, create a t-shirt to illustrate events from the story and summarize your book.
Follow these guidelines:
- Read a never-read, just-right Newbery book. (Need a recommendation? Just ask!)
- I ask that you read for fifteen to twenty minutes every night, and use your reading log to keep track of your reading. Reading logs are due every Friday beginning on October 12 with a parent signature until the book is finished. (Students can read at school as well, and I will sign their logs.)
- Select a plain t-shirt (preferably white or light colored…it does not need to be new, but in decent shape.) If you would prefer to use a different medium, such as a life-sized white paper cut-out of a t-shirt, please tell me by Oct. 12.
- Turn it into your book report. Write on it, add pictures (paint, sharpie, iron-on), glue things onto it that represent the book. You can draw your favorite character, your favorite scene, or a part of the book that made you visualize. FILL IT UP!
- Be sure to include the following:
- The title and the author
- Pictures/images. Cover as much area as you can with lots of pictures and details. Make it pop!
- brief summary of book (5-6 sentences)
- a star review
- favorite quotes (2-3)
- list of main characters and a character trait for each
- the theme of the book with evidence
- Your name
- The Newbery Medal (print it out and pin it on or draw it!)
7. HAVE FUN!
I need to know the title of the book you have chosen by Tuesday, October 9th. Your report is due Friday, November 2nd. Start reading right away and work on your t-shirt a little at a time. Don’t wait until the last minute!
** I want your child to do the report with minimal help. Please make sure that your child is the primary designer of the t-shirt book report.
I look forward to seeing how creative you will be! If you have any questions email me!